Tuesday 13 April 2010

Painting failure


I have been struggling for a couple of weeks, on and off, to rescue a painting that had already had several previous manifestations each resulting in failure and being painted over. Unfortunately this latest effort has ended in the same way so I have decided to burn the canvas and make a fresh start.  Is there such a thing as a rogue canvas?

On the edge 1  Digital photograph

Subsequently I have no new painting to post so I am showing a couple of photographs taken a few weeks ago with my favourite lens, the f 2.8 60mm Macro.

On the edge 2  Digital photograph


I am constantly delighted by the abstract images that are available by closely observing the most mundane objects, these two shots are of the edge of a dried up leaf which I picked up almost at random.

11 comments:

Caterina Giglio said...

oh... these shots are exquisite! I usually cut the canvas up and use pieces that I like in collage, but burning the canvas has brought you some great photos AND a sense of purification!

Ian Foster said...

Now that's a great idea, I haven't yet built the funeral pyre so maybe I will save the best bits as you suggest.

merci33 said...

Ian, you have a most magnificent artist eye...I still swoon over the hostas that you posted in the late summer.
I also thought, at first, that this was your burned canvas curling up its edges at you...the story makes a great juxaposition between word and image.

Poetic Artist said...

I do like these shots. It is amazing what you can see with the artist eye..In the small things in life. Beautiful.

Jean said...

Je ne comprends pas la laugue anglaise ....mais je comprends le langage des images .
J'aime beaucoup votre composition !

Sharmon Davidson said...

I love these photos! I, too, thought you were burning the canvas. The images, however, stand on their own.

nancy neva gagliano said...

YOU, MY FRIEND, ARE A FABULOUS ARTIST WITH THAT CAMERA!! forget about that canvas being a rogue, you're right to turn to these beauties. fascinating.

Jala Pfaff said...

I love these images!
I too am awed by the abstract beauty of close-ups of the natural world...
I have several rogue canvases like that!!! No matter how many times I paint over them, it's like they have a mummy's curse on them. I'm thinking I should toss mine too.

Seth said...

Sensational. You have a great eye to have been able to see and capture these mysterious beauties.

Gregory Bullock said...

There is a rogue canvas! Burning is a great way to exorcise the demon. And the flames may give you new ideas.

Kadira said...

Fire is a purifier, I've used it to good effect on my wayward paintings in the past. Sometimes however I just put them at the front gate and invite people to take them away - and amazingly they do! At least some one gets to enjoy the energy Ive invested then - Even if I cant.
I love your fotos - fantastic images. And thanks to Iona for leading me to your blog.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...